The Driver and Vehicle Licensing Authority (DVLA), in consultation with the Ministry of Transport, National Road Safety Commission, the MTTD of Ghana Police Service and other key stakeholders, has developed guidelines for companies intending to operate Digital (ridesharing platforms) Transport Systems in Ghana.
The Guidelines which are intended to provide general information to all drivers, vehicle owners, digital (ridesharing platform) transport system companies and the general public, about requirements for operating and signing up to a digital transport platform in the country, are listed below.
1. The owner must present the vehicle, including the Vehicle Registration Certificate, (VRC) at the Digital Transport Center (DTC) located at the DVLA Head Office at Cantonments, Accra, for verification and authentication.
2. Where the owner is unable to be physically present, his/her representative must present a duly signed Power of Attorney document at the DTC (sample available at the DTC and on www.dvla.gov.gh).
3. The representative must also present a valid ID document (Driver’s Licence, Passport, National ID etc) in order to complete the process.
4. Pay an applicable fee of GHc60.00 for vehicle verification and authentication (This service is renewable annually)
5. After successfully completing the process, the vehicle will be issued a unique identifier which must be affixed on the windscreen at all times.
6. Having successfully signed up, the vehicle must now undergo roadworthy examination and certification every six (6) months as it is the case for all commercial vehicles.
For the Driver:
1. Present your Driver’s Licence at the DTC for verification and Authentication.
2. Unlike in the case of the vehicle owner, the driver must be physically present for this activity
3. Pay an applicable fee of GHc60.00 for driver verification and authentication (This service is renewable annually).
4. Drivers must ensure that, at all times, they possess a valid Driver’s Licence.
For the Digital (Ridesharing Platform) Transport System (DTS) Provider:
1. Provide proof of company registration to the Authority to be signed on to the DTS System.
2. Once you are signed on, only verified and approved vehicles and drivers must be enrolled on your platform.
3. The DVLA data system becomes the only valid source for verifying the authenticity of a driver’s license or a vehicle’s registration.
4. Submit quarterly reports in the form as agreed with the Authority.
The general public is encouraged to cooperate with the Authority by adhering to these guidelines as they are intended to provide safety and security for passengers, drivers and their vehicles.
For further information, contact DVLA at the address specified below:
1, Jawaharlal Nehru Road
P. O. Box 9379, KIA – Accra
Tel: 0302746760 or 0800 160 160
DVLA: Your Safety, Our Concern.